Jaw pain can be affected by a range of medical problems, where many of which can be promptly addressed by visiting a dentist or a doctor.
We should definitely look for medical attention for jaw pain, since there is no reason to suffer with a painful jaw, and in some situations can grow worse if they are not addressed promptly. A dentist is usually a good place to start with, since a dentist can provide a referral to another doctor if a dental exam finds out obvious potential causes of jaw pain.
Category of Jaw Pain.
Primary jaw pain. It is a condition which involves the jaw.
Secondary jaw pain. It is caused by a condition elsewhere in the body which can cause pain to migrate to the jaw.
Primary jaw pain usually can be treated by a dentist, a maxillofacial surgeon, or an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor, while secondary pain may require the services of a specialist in another medical field.
Below are some examples of primary Jaw Pain Causes:
- Trauma to the jaw. A broken jaw will be considerably painful, and trauma can also be caused by bruxism or clenching of the teeth.
- Dental problems such as Cavities, broken teeth, and teeth which have been pulled out of alignment can all hurt the jaw, are another cause of a painful jaw and mouth.
- Recovery from oral surgery and fillings may be accompanied by jaw pain, and severe gingivitis and gum infections can cause the jaw to hurt.
- Bone Spurs, bony outgrowths around the jaw which sometimes appear in older people, and impacted wisdom teeth, which can cause considerable pain in the jaw area.
- Arthritis can also affect the jaw. This condition will cause a buildup of pain around the mandibular joint.
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ), a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of the jaw joint, also causes jaw pain.
- Sinus infections may lead to jaw pain.
- Migraines have also been linked with jaw pain, especially when a migraine sufferer grinds his or her teeth from the pain.
- Swollen glands in the neck can cause jaw pain and tenderness, as can obscure conditions like phosphorus necrosis of the jaw.
Jaw pain seems bearable or manageable, however patients may want to consider the fact that infections in the jaw can lead to sepsis, a life threatening medical condition.
Oral pain can decline in productiveness and efficiency, which means that family members and coworkers may appreciate it when people seek treatment for their jaw pain.
Read further detail of this disorder on natural jaw pain treatment page.