Many sufferers found that jaw problems resolve on their own in several weeks to months. If you have experienced TMJ dysfunction or pain, you may find relief with some or all of the following techniques to help yourself first for TMJ:
- Moist Heat. You can get moist heat from a heat pack or a hot water bottle wrapped in a warm, moist towel can improve function and reduce pain. Be careful of burning yourself when using heat.
- Ice packs. As we know that ice can decrease inflammation and also numb pain and promote healing. But do not place an ice pack directly on your skin, keep the pack wrapped in a clean cloth while you are using it, and do use an ice pack for more than 10 minutes.
- Soft Diet. Soft or blended foods allow the jaw to rest temporarily. Avoid hard, crunchy, and chewy foods. Do not stretch your mouth to accommodate such foods as corn on the cob, apples, or whole fruits.
- Over the-Counter Analgesics. Many people with TMJ Disorders, short-term use of over-the-counter pain medicines or non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), such as ibuprofen, may provide temporary relief from jaw discomfort. When necessary, your dentist or doctor can prescribe stronger pain or anti-inflammatory medications, muscle relaxants, or antidepressants to help ease symptoms.
- Jaw Exercises. Slow, gentle jaw exercises may help increase jaw mobility and healing. Some studies found therapeutic jaw exercises brings earlier recovery of jaw function compared to splints!
- Relaxation Techniques. Relaxation and guided imagery can be helpful in dealing with the pain that accompanies TMJ dysfunction. Take a deep, slow breathing enhances relaxation and modulates pain sensations. Some have found yoga, massage and meditation helpful in reducing stress and aiding relaxation.
- Side Sleeping. Sleep on your side using pillow support between shoulder and neck.
- Relax Facial Muscles. Make a concerted effort to relax your lips, and keep teeth apart.
- Yawning. You need to use your fist for supporting your chin as you yawn to prevent damage to the joint and to prevent your jaw from locking open.
In addition, if you are suffering TMJ disorders, try to avoid:
- Jaw Clenching
- Gum chewing
- Cradling the telephone–this may irritate jaw and neck muscles
Take a note that if your TMJ problems getting worse over the time, you should seek professional advice. However, first and foremost, educate yourself by digging reliable resources where you might realize that informed patients are better able to talk with healthcare providers, ask questions, and make knowledgeable decisions.
Do you want to know further detail of TMJ disorder and how to fix it?
Have you ever heard about Sandra Charter before? I highly recommend you to visit Sandra Charter and download her ebook. She is a Medical Researcher, Nutrition Specialist, Therapist, Health Consultant and Former Chronic TMJ disorder Sufferer that has taught thousands of people worldwide to be free from all TMJ related disorders. She will teaches You How To:
- Cure Your Temporomandibular Joint disorder naturally Within 2 Months
- Get Dramatic Pain Relief In As Little As 12 Hours!
- Banish all TMJ Related Symptoms including: Headaches, Ear Pain, Teeth Grinding and Locked Jaw
- Stop The Constant Pain and Pressure In your Mouth, Jaw Area, and best of the best thing to Keep Them Away Forever
- Improve The Quality Of Your Life Dramatically and restore your energy levels
Visit Sandra Charter’s Site and download her ebook now!! All the information there are really handy to help yourself first and of course to cure your TMJ naturally prior to consenting to any treatment.